Thursday, August 23, 2007

Iowa...That's where the tall corn grows!

If you didn't know, that is the last line of the Iowa official state song. And yes, sadly, I know all the words as I had to sing it in high school. But this song has been playing through my mind, along with the Io-way song from State Fair the musical, as I prepare to journey back to my homestate. That's right, I'm coming back to Iowa- but just for a visit. Next week I will board a plane to traverse approximately 650 miles across several states all just to say HI to people I love and have missed for these past six months. For those of you I haven't talked with yet, if you want to get together, let me know. Hope to see you there!!!

4 comments:

Ryan Tow said...

In 1991 I marched in the Federal Express Orange Bowl Parade, through downtown Miami. What song did our genius directors choose for us to play?

That's right, the Iowa Corn Song. As you know, though, the thing about long parades is that you play the same couple songs. Over and over and over and over and over and over and over and . . . well, yeah.

So, there is a special place of hatred reserved in my heart for the Iowa Corn Song. I am glad you're coming back to visit, though. Travel safe!

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.

Anonymous said...

it's not the official state song. the official state song is to the tune of "o tannenbaum," and the lyrics of the first verse are as follows:
You asked which land i loved the best, Iowa, tis Iowa.
The fairest state in all the west, Iowa, O Iowa.
From yonder Mississippi's stream
To where Missouri's waters gleam
O, fair it is as poet's dream, Iowa, in Iowa.

Anonymous said...

Our high school band played and sang it at Expo '67 in Montreal. Sharing our culture with an international audience. Sigh.