Sunday, July 23, 2006

Stereotypes: True or False?

Yesterday I read a book by Kristen Billerbeck. I found myself enraptured to the point where I could not stop reading and ended up reading the entire book. When I finished, I asked myself what had kept me glued to those pages. Though I can't be completely sure, the best reason I came up with was the struggles and life-circumstances of the lead character and how much they sounded an awful lot like my own struggles and circumstances. Of course the details didn't match, but the general idea was there.

This got me wondering... The book focused on a single gal, her life, her friends, her single group at church, etc. Are singles, and especially Christian singles, so stereotypical that we can be pegged within a few pages of a book? Are our lives so predictable that we've lost our uniqueness? And if this is true, the question then presents itself of why? Is it just our stage of life? We all fall into similar patterns until we either get married or become completely career oriented? To me, this just cannot be! God has not lost His creativity, why should our life patterns not reflect this and be full of creativity?! We should not allow culture or society govern and direct our paths. We should chart our own through the will of God.

Personally, I am tired of conforming to society's whims. I don't want to be typical. I don't want to be just another statistic. Though it will be difficult, I'm going to try and chart my own course (with God's help of course.) I want to discover/rediscover the creativity of God within my life, the unique woman He created me to be.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

what was the book called? i think i might have read it!