Monday, July 23, 2007

Warning! Spoilers ahead...

If you are planning to read Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and don't want the ending spoiled- READ NO FURTHER! There, you have been dutifully warned!

Well, to first start off, I made the mistake of not starting the book until late Sunday afternoon and of course could not tear my eyes away once I had began. I'm not a very fast reader, only averaging about 50 pages per hour...so you do the math. I was up until 5 am (of a Monday, no less) reading. Tried to get an hour sleep before I had to get ready for work, but after all that excitement (and the tears), who can sleep! Needless to say, despite the triple-shot Starbucks I am chugging down, I'm quite tired.

As for the book itself, I would like to brag, so bear with me: I WAS RIGHT, I WAS RIGHT! Sometimes, I swear it's no fun being me, I always guess the ending of the book or the movie well before it's over. Anyway, for those of you I have had discussions about predictions for this book, you may recall that I predicted that Harry himself would be a Horcrux, that he would have to sacrifice himself to kill Voldemort and that Snape would in fact be good. Now, despite the accuracy of my predictions, the book was still thrilling, sometimes surprising and yes, I will admit that I cried at key points, and I'm glad that Harry and his friends are able to go on to live happy lives.

Any disappointments, you may ask? Well, for me the greatest disappointment was the epilogue. For me it was completely unnecessary other than for Rowling to give it more finality. I was happily content to imagine for myself all of them going off, getting married and living "happily ever after". Rowling stole every reader's opportunity to imagine the glorious lives of our beloved characters that carry on after their suffering. Her ending was too mundane, for me. Though I too would have imagined similar situations for our "friends", I feel robbed of being able to see their future for myself.

All in all, I enjoyed the book thoroughly. I look forward to some point in the future returning to the halls of Hogwarts through the pages of these books reliving once again the harrowing tales of some wonderful characters. And of course through the movies that are yet to come...

No comments: