Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Flashback...

This weekend I went to the theatre to see Pirates 3. My opinions on this movie match relatively closely with critics and friends alike, so I'm not going to get into that. But while I was getting settled in my seat, a preview for Transformers came on. Seeing this flashed me back to my senior year of college...

I had a friend, Dave. We had been friends for almost four years. We had a lot of fun together goofing around, hanging out, talking about cars... That fall, I had a job at the mall and he would come visit me almost once a week. During my breaks, we would walk down the mall talking about just about everything. Many times, we would end up in Gadzooks to view the new shirts that were out. This was about the time that all the 80s stuff we had grown up with was coming back onto the scene: Care Bears, GI Joe, Rainbow Brite, Hee-Man, Transformers, etc. We used to laugh and reminisce about what we watched and played with as kids, we had lots of fun! Well, we discovered we had both loved Transformers as kids. That May, when the time came for me to graduate and move from the area, Dave gave me a very special present. He gave me a Megatron shirt. And not just any shirt- it's one of those silky polyester shirts that look like the comic has been painted right onto the material all over the shirt. I loved it and love it still as it hangs in my closet awaiting for those times I deem special enough to wear it.

Well, a very special opportunity for the shirt is quickly approaching as the new movie opens July 4. Don't know if I'll make it to the midnight showing, but I can guarantee you I will be in the theatre sometime that week! It seems odd that I won't be going to see it with Dave - we talked about the idea of a Transformers movie so many times! Unfortunately, we lost touch after I moved away. Dave, if you're around, let me know. It doesn't seem right to see this movie without you, yet I also know I would be in trouble with you if I didn't see it. Well, when the time comes, you will be on my mind as I view it...

Oh, PS: If you haven't seen Pirates yet, and hadn't heard, be sure to stay until the end of the credits for the final scene.

Love Y'all!

No comments: